Let me take you on a journey from the ancient city of Athens to the breathtaking island of Santorini, through the eyes of a local.
As a local of Athens, I have had the pleasure of exploring many of the beautiful Greek Islands, including the stunning SantorinIn this article, I will be sharing my insights and recommendations for traveling from Athens to Santorini, so that potential travelers can make the most of their trip and experience all the amazing sights and activities that this island has to offer. So, let’s get started!
How to travel from Athens to Santorini:
As a local of Athens, I have traveled to Santorini multiple times and can provide valuable insights on how to make the most of your trip. The most popular mode of transportation to Santorini is by ferry, which takes approximately 5-8 hours depending on the type of ferry chosen. It is recommended to book tickets in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons, to avoid being left without a ticket or stuck in a less desirable seat option.
If you prefer to travel by air, there are multiple flights daily from Athens to Santorini and the flight time is roughly 45 minutes. However, it is important to note that flights can be more expensive compared to the ferry option.
Another popular option is to rent a car in Athens and take it on the ferry to Santorini, allowing for more flexibility and the ability to explore the island at your own pace. It is important to book the car rental in advance to ensure availability and to be aware of the additional fees for taking a rental car on the ferry.
Overall, the ferry option is the most cost-effective and scenic option, but it is important to plan ahead and choose the option that best fits your needs and budget.
Where to stay in Santorini (First Person)
As a local of Athens and frequent traveler to Santorini, I can attest to the fact that the island offers a wide variety of accommodation options to suit every type of traveler. Whether you’re on a tight budget or looking to splurge, there’s something for everyone in Santorin
For travelers on a budget, I recommend staying in the town of Fira, which is known for its affordable guesthouses and hostels. Another option is the village of Perissa, which is home to several budget-friendly hotels and guesthouses, as well as a beautiful black sand beach.
For those looking to indulge in luxury, the town of Oia is the place to be. Known for its iconic whitewashed buildings and stunning views of the Aegean Sea, Oia is home to some of the most luxurious hotels and villas on the island.
No matter where you choose to stay in Santorini, make sure you book well in advance, especially during the peak travel season (June-August). Many hotels and guesthouses offer early bird discounts, so be sure to take advantage of these deals and save some extra cash for activities and sightseeing.
Top things to do and see in Santorini
As someone who has visited Santorini multiple times, I can tell you that this Greek island is a true gem, with plenty of things to do and see. Here are some of my top recommendations:
1. Visit Oia – This picturesque village is known for its stunning sunsets and white-washed buildings. Walk around its narrow streets, admire the views, and take plenty of pictures.
2. Red Beach – This unique beach is named after its red volcanic sand, and it’s a must-visit spot on the island. The water is crystal clear, and the views are breathtaking.
3. Akrotiri Archaeological Site – History buffs will love this ancient site, which was buried under volcanic ash for centuries. Walk around the ruins and learn about the Minoan civilization that once lived here.
4. Fira – This is the capital of Santorini, and it’s a lively town with plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars. Take a stroll around its streets, visit the museums, and enjoy the local cuisine.
5. Caldera – The caldera is the volcanic crater that formed Santorini, and it’s one of the most famous views on the island. Take a boat tour to explore it, or hike along its edges to admire the views.
6. Wine Tasting – Santorini is known for its delicious wines, which are made from local grape varieties. Visit a winery and taste some of their best wines while enjoying the beautiful views.
7. Kamari Beach – This black sand beach is a popular spot for sunbathing, swimming, and water sports. It’s also surrounded by plenty of restaurants and cafes, making it a great place to spend the day.
These are just some of the things you can do and see in Santorini, but there’s plenty more to explore on this beautiful island. Make sure to plan enough time to enjoy all the sights and experiences it has to offer.